Monday, December 9, 2013

Aftercare Matters: Thankful

By Aftercare CTI Case Manager Sara Barrett
 
Thanksgiving takes on new meaning for those families who have graduated from Community LINC’s Interim Housing program and moved into in-home Aftercare Services.
 
“Thanksgiving doesn’t require a turkey or a huge gathering. Don’t get me wrong, I like all of that stuff. But Thanksgiving is a heart issue. Look at all I have, Sara,” said a current Aftercare client.
Sitting at her dining table, we surveyed the rooms around us and made note of how the once bare apartment now looked like a home.
 
We took time to talk about the successes achieved since leaving Community LINC’s onsite program.
“I have so much to be thankful for every day. We will celebrate the holiday with a special meaning this year, in our home, but we carry thanksgiving in our hearts every day for what Community LINC has done for us.”
 
Once again, I am humbled and challenged by the words of the clients we serve every day.  I often forget the humanness behind the work we do, and how, really, we could not do it without them.
 
Thanksgiving takes on new meaning this year for me, as the Aftercare worker, also. I am thankful for the honor of walking with them on a piece of their journey of rebuilding their lives and thankful for the humble insight they offer to the real meaning behind days like Thanksgiving, a treasure often forgotten during the busyness of the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment