Thursday, April 29, 2010

Miracles on Troost

One of my co-workers has long referred to our agency as the miracle on Troost. Troost is the street where our campus is located in the urban core of Kansas City. She says that the miracle is the way the lives of homeless families are transformed after being at Community LINC.

Another kind of miracle happened a week or so ago.

I spent a very stressful weekend worrying about cash flow. Our revenue has been good, but a great deal of it hasn’t been paid yet – it is pledges or receivables. When I came in on Monday, I had to borrow money to cover payroll.

On Wednesday, a man dropped into the office. The week before, he ran into a friend of his having lunch with our Associate Executive Director. Our visitor and his wife have been supporting an agency that assists homeless individuals, but they wanted to do something for homeless families. He followed the coincidence of meeting our Associate ED to learn more about what we do. She wasn’t in, so he visited with me.

He asked a lot of questions about what we do, but kept coming back to “What have you been praying for?” It was pretty easy to answer. I was praying for something to help our cash flow and cover the $30,000 deficit I was expecting in April.

He wrote a check for $30,000.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Linc has so many amazing and emotional stories about personal achievement and strong families, but this one about a cash flow deficit just gave me goosebumps. What a generous and heartfelt gift.

    ReplyDelete