Monday, February 3, 2014

Children Matter: A Young Man Reaching His Goals

By Children’s Program Director Ryan Blake
 
A few months ago, I began working with a teen who was a senior in high school. The young man explained to me that his family had moved several times during the year and his school attendance was very poor. He also admitted that sometimes his poor choices caused him to miss school. Although he was a very intelligent student, his grades continued to suffer. It began to look like he wasn’t going to have enough credits to graduate this year.
 
He came to me with what he thought was a great idea “I’m going to drop out and get my GED”.  We spent some time talking about the pros and cons of a high school diploma compared to a GED.  We talked about his future and what he wanted to do with his life. He left the conversation unsure if he should drop out or not.
 
Not long after our conversation, he moved with his family into permanent housing. I hadn’t heard from him in several weeks until one day he came back to Community LINC to tell me that he found out his grades were going to be good enough to graduate in May. It was one of the happiest moments I have had at Community LINC.
 
However, this is not where the story ends. Yesterday, I received a message saying that he had been accepted into a state university where he will be attending college in the Fall. I can’t wait to hear what else the future has in store for this young man.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment