Friday, May 16, 2014

Children Matter: "A place to call my own"

By Child Therapist Tonesia Woods

Sherri is a 12-year old child in a family of four who relocated to Community LINC after moving from various homes within the past year. 

During her final counseling session, I asked “What is one thing that you desire in life?” She stated “ I just want to be in a stable home, in a place that I can call my own. I don’t want to move anymore…” During that final session we worked on saying good-bye, seeking peace with her current transition, and learning to recognize the good in all things. 

She quickly identified “friendships” as her highlight of moving to different places. She was also able to identify the good in her hardships by stating to me “ The hard times I go thru with my family, actually brings us closer together!”  

While she was at Community LINC, I quickly observed the gift of resiliency that the client possessed! She always participated in group, displayed leadership behaviors while in programming, and maintained a positive attitude throughout her time here at Community LINC.

No comments:

Post a Comment